Developer: Electronic Arts
Status: Closed (as of August 29, 2003)
Release Date: October 10, 2001
Motor City Online revs up to the starting line with both Arcade Action and Sim World modes of gameplay. Arcade Action is for the quick "grab the keys and go" driver while the Sim World provides a deeper, community-based experience where players can buy, sell and trade cars and parts, exchange stories and customization tips, join car clubs, develop rivalries and much more.
Within the Arcade Action mode, EZ Street is an ideal place to begin the Motor City Online experience. Gamers will be immediately immersed into the community and Motor City way of life with a series of beginner-focused tracks. Upon graduating from EZ Street, racers can catch up on the latest and greatest happenings within Motor City by checking out the 24-hour hot-rodder hangouts where challenges can be made in over 15 street, pro and drag racing tracks.
The Sim World takes the Motor City experience to the next level. Before hitting the streets, drivers create unique identities, buy and customize their car(s) and choose whether or not to join a club, which can potentially increase a player's income and status. Drivers will earn a weekly salary, which is determined by winning races, selling services or simply by their club's success. But before the light turns green, racers can also wager Motor City "dollars" in order to build up an inventory of cash, cars and authentic auto parts. In the constantly evolving world within Motor City Online, anything's possible - build it, race it and risk it all!
* Persistent online community and racing experience focused on the golden age of classic American car culture.
* The widest selection of classics, hot rods and muscle cars in any racing game - over 50 licensed cars from the 1930s to the 1970s, with additional downloadable cars and parts scheduled post-ship.
* Ability to personalize, fully customize and upgrade cars as well as a player's persona.
* Players can join and/or create their own clubs and participate in private racing practices, club vs. club racing championships, turf wars and social events.
* Robust online community where players can buy, trade, customize, chat about and race classic, muscle and stock cars from the golden age of the American automobile.
* Sim World features over 15 street, pro and drag racing tracks while the Arcade Action involves five modes, including the novice-based EZ Street for easy entry gameplay.
* Over 1,000 authentic stock and licensed car parts for racers to upgrade and make repairs.
* Dynamic economy where car and part prices change simulating real-world supply and demand - cars and parts can be traded or auctioned off and sold to the highest bidder.
* Breath-taking graphics and true four-point car physics for road-hugging realism.
* Complete user-friendly Internet experience in which players can race competitively or just for fun.
* Key product in premium EA.com subscription games services, playable exclusively on EA.com.
* Pentium II 333 or equivalent
* 64 MB RAM
* 4x CD-ROM
* 800 MB free hard disk space
* 8 MB VRAM
* DirectX 8.0